On this 19th day of May, 1885, near Bull Run, County of Knox, state of Tennessee, before me, J. H. Horah, a Special Examiner of the Pension Office, personally appeared Mrs. Louisa J. Fortner, who says:
Age: about 58
Place of residence: Near Bull Run, Knox Co., Tenn.
P.O. Address: Bull Run, Knox Co., Tenn.
2. Are you the widow of David H. Fortner, dec'd?
A. Yes, sir.
3. Have you ever had, either before or after your marriage, any illegitimate children?
A. I have two, living in Texas: in Denton Co., Texas. My daughter is named Obedience Jane Athan, she lives at Little Elm, Denton Co., Texas and is a widow. My son is J. B. Foy and his P.O. address is Storry, Denton Co., Texas. (2) illegitimate children of mine are dead.
4. Were these children born before or after your marriage to David H. Fortner?
A. They was born years before I ever seed him. We were married in 1866 or 1867; the two children in Texas were 10 and 14 (about) at the time we were married; and the other two were then dead.
5. Did you have any illicit intercourse with any man during your husband's lifetime?
A. No, sir.
6. Have you lived a moral life since his death?
A. I have. I have done as near right as I could, and I have never been guilty of any lewdness since I married.
7. Have you ever kept any house of ill fame; or ever encouraged any lewdness around you, in the last three or four years?
A. No, sir. I have not.
8. Where have you been living during the past three years?
A. I have been living right here for the last four years, on Copper Ridge, about two miles from Bull Run, Tenn.
9. By whom can you prove, that during the past three years, you have lived a moral and virtuous life?
A. By Julian York and his wife, Frances York; and mr. Jas. Cooper; Mrs. Jas. Eshold (?); and by others if necessary.
10. Were you ever in any quarrel with one Mrs. Isaac Presstel, concerning some illicit intercourse you were having with Mr. Presstell?
A. No. I never was. I never had any quarrel with Mrs. Presstell: was at her house, but left there, on one occasion, because I thought she did not want me to stay all night, as she was in ill-health; but I have been to Mrs. Presstell's house frequently since, and as far as I know we are good friends and I never had anything to do with Mrs. Presstel.
11. Are you not more known as Louisa Foy?
A. Yes, sometimes. I didn't live in this neighborhood until we were married and the people here sometimes call me Foy and sometimes Fortner. Foy was my maiden name.
12. Did you husband know when you were married that you had these illegitimate children?
A. Yes, he did. He never ______ me about it any way.
13. Do you desire to be present in person or by atty. during theexamiantion of this your claim?
A. I don't know as I am, particular.
14. Have you any further statement to make?
A. Not that I know of.
15. How old were you at teh time you left Mrs. Presstell's house?
A. It has been about five years ago. I was then about 53.
Will C. Miller
[signed] Louisa J. [her X mark] Fortner, claimant
Subscribed before me this 19th day of May 1885 and I certify that the contents were fully made known to claimant before signing.
[signed] J. H. Horah
[Continue with Deposition]